Our annual bike ride to the historic village fair in Reach takes place on 5th May 2014.
We assemble outside the Guildhall in the Market Square, Cambridge from 9am for a prompt 10am departure. We head down to Jesus Green and follow the river all the way to Ditton Meadows and continue on national cycle route NCN 51 to Newmarket Road Park n Ride site.
From there we continue on NCN51 passing through a tunnel under the A14, then passing Stow-cum-Quy to Bottisham.
At Bottisham we turn left onto NCN route 11 towards Lode and from there through very quiet fen roads that lead us to the village of Reach.
We arrive in time to watch the opening of the fair at noon, when the village comes alive with children dancing around a maypole, morris dancing and fairground attractions. There are food and drink tents. We stay at the fair until 2pm and return to Cambridge via the same route.
- How many people are you expecting on the ride?
- It really will depend on the weather on the day. In 2013 we had almost 600 riders (see our report) and this year we are hoping for a similar number.
- Are children welcome on the ride?
- Children under 16 must be accompanied by a responsible adult. Accommpanied children are welcome on the ride – but you will be responsible for looking after them. We travel at a pace which should easily accommodate most children who are regular cyclists. Children under about 10 might find the full return distance a bit much, but if they’re on trailer bikes they should be ok. You can make the ride shorter by joining the ride along the route, at Newmarket Road Park and Ride site for instance. You must be prepared to bail out and go back with them! The route is almost all along quiet roads but there are some sections on roads shared with motor traffic.
- Our facebook event page
- Are you on Twitter?
- Yes, for the latest tweets: http://twitter.com/search?q=ReachRide. Add your own by mentioning the hashtag #ReachRide in your tweets.
- How to contact you
- Please contact us via the Cambridge Cycling Campaign’s website.
Ride from Ely to the Fair
Another ride to Reach Fair meets outside Ely Station at 9.30am to depart at 10am for Reach. This is a free ride led by Ely Cycling Campaign which follows the National Cycle Network and is suitable for the whole family.